Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) - 2015
The Office of Undergraduate Education is offering a limited number of Summer Undergraduate Research projects which will provide funding for Rensselaer undergraduates to conduct research with a faculty advisor for a ten-week period during the summer months. This competitive program offers the opportunity for students from all fields of study to become immersed full-time in a research topic and receive a $4,000 stipend which will be administered by the Office of Undergraduate Education.
Proposal Deadline-Friday, February 20, 2015 by 4:00 p.m. (no late proposals will be accepted):
- Submit electronically to Kim Ellenwood OR
A paper copy to Kim, Office of Undergraduate Education,
Walker Lab, room 4010
Submission packet should include the following:
- One copy of the SURP application available at: application
- One copy of a brief proposal (no more than three pages), written by the student using the following Guidelines for Writing a Successful Proposal
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member willing to advise the research project (also will be expected to review and evaluate proposals as a member of the selection committee).
The applicant should plan to meet with the faculty advisor prior to submission to review a draft of the proposal and discuss the guidelines below:
- Guidelines for Writing a Successful Proposal
- Information For Advisors
The Summer Undergraduate Research Program is open to all Rensselaer undergraduates who are planning to conduct research on campus with a faculty advisor. Students may not be on academic probation and must be planning to enroll at Rensselaer the following fall semester (this includes students who plan to study abroad). Graduating seniors and incoming first year students are not eligible. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact Kim Ellenwood, Office of Undergraduate Education.