- In this section...
- Faculty involvement
- Earth, Energy, and Environment - The Vasudha Living & Learning Community at Rensselaer
- How to find a project
- For credit, funding or the experience?
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) - 2015
- Advisement & oversight of summer projects
- Writing your proposal
Undergraduate Research Program (URP)
Rensselaer's Undergraduate Research Program (URP) provides real-world, hands-on research experience for students like you. Through this unique program, you have the opportunity to work directly with a faculty member on a bonafide research project.
Some examples of recent research projects students have been involved in are available at: URP Projects
The program offers many advantages and the opportunity to:
- work on a project whose impact could be worldwide and can lead to patents and/or grants
- interact with some of the most informed and learned professors in the world
- apply knowledge gained in the classroom to actual problems and research situations
- network with faculty beyond the classroom, opening the door to other opportunities
- gain critical leadership, team-building and critical thinking skills
- establish industry connections that could lead to a co-op or future employment
- distinguish yourself from your peers
- publish as an undergraduate
- receive course credit in a more dynamic way or supplement your income
I'm not an engineering or science major. Can I still participate?
Definitely! You will find that faculty in all the Institute's schools conduct research and may need undergraduate researchers to assist them. Students from HASS, IT, EMAC, and Management -- along with the engineers and science majors -- all participate regularly in the URP.